Every time I think I have something parenting related figured out, it changes. I'll think, ok, this is when they sleep, this is what they like to eat, this is what makes them feel secure in a new situation. Then, just as I'm about to congratulate myself for conquering a given challenge, they change the rules on me.
Deciding what time to go to church has been a two year battle. There does not seem to be a good time. We are always rushing to get them out of bed, back into bed, fed, dressed, etc. This morning we decided to just have a relaxed morning and go to the latest service. We even seemed to have a little bit of extra time, so I tried to take some pictures since Cate was actually out of her pajamas.
As you can see, she is rather solemn in these pictures. I should have known that trouble was brewing.
This picture is blurry, but this expression is so Timmy.
As his expression above might indicate, Timmy has always been easygoing about getting dropped off in the nursery at church. He sees a few balls and he is off to play. He never looks back.
We have had quite a lot of difficulty dropping Cate off in the 2 yr. old room at church. For weeks or maybe even months, Tim would just stay with her. Then she seemed to get more comfortable on her own. She talked a lot about what she learned, what songs she sang and of course, what they had that day for a snack. This morning, she was so upset after I left that they had to flash our number on the screen to come and get her. So Tim made his way to go and get her and returned with a very blotchy Cate. She sat with us quietly for a long time and I felt so bad that she was so stressed.
So now I'm back to wondering if we should go at a different time, try to get there really early (yeah right) so that it's less busy/crazy, if I should stay with her again.... I always have the nagging feeling that if I just did things a little bit, better, smarter, earlier, faster... then life would be smooth. It's probably time for me to accept that life with little kids is just messy and unpredictable.
1 comment:
Dear Laurie - I think every mom feels this way! You are not alone. It's hard not to assume every change in your child's preference or mood has something to do with what you did or didn't do! Take heart! Toddlers are just picky, emotionally charged little people. I have definitely been where you are, and I'm sure I'll continue to second guess or critique every single thing I do/say or don't do/say. Sooo ... as much as you can, just relax and remind yourself that you are doing the best you can and you can't be responsible for everything! Give yourself a break and some grace - God does!!! Much love to you! (I might need you to remind me of this sometime in the near future ...!) This stage and age (especially when you have more than 1) is just very stressful and very hands on. But eventually, they'll grow up and start thinking/acting more logically ... right???? :)
Post a Comment