Friday, March 23, 2012

Finding a Rhythm

Before we moved, I was worried that I wouldn't feel at home in our new house. It may have had something to do with the blood red dining room walls or purple sponge paint upstairs. But by the time Cate, Timmy and I got here, all of that was painted over and all of our furniture was finally out of storage, so it felt like home. Until I left the house. Then I would remember that I was an interloper here. I could go to Target or the grocery store, but I really had nowhere else to go.


We are far from truly being settled, but I feel the beginnings of tiny, fragile roots growing here.



We go to the rec center twice a week, we go to the library with the great kids' area, we go to a morning, Moms bible study, a great open gym, we see Cate and Timmy's friends, Norah and Eli, and our 12 year old neighbor comes over once a week to play with the kids in the afternoon. I have finally found a preschool program that I am happy with for next year (for both kids at the same time!) and have met a few moms who have given me ideas for local activities with kids.



Our weeks aren't quite the blank slate that they were at first but some days are still exhausting. So, sometimes Cate and I go outside while Timmy is napping and I paint her little toenails pink and while the sun dries them (in two minutes,) we look through the "beautiful" Pottery Barn catalogue and Cate oohs and aahs over everything from a jewelry box with a twirling ballerina to bunk beds that she thinks would be "perfect" for Timmy.

And if we're lucky, Tim gets home early enough for dinner and wrestle/basketball/dollhouse time. Yesterday he brought Cate some flowers for her room since she has recently decided that flowers are the ultimate fancy girl accessory. She has big plans to put flowers in every room for Easter. Only two weeks until Easter and a visit from Mimi, Pop and Jenn and only three weeks until a visit from Nana and Uncle Rusty. We can't wait!

No comments: