Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Day Off with Daddy


Tim has been working a lot since we've all been here. Working and traveling (to places I've never heard of) a lot. So we have been talking about him taking a day off and doing something fun for awhile now and last week, I knew that it would have to be soon.

That cute little, almost 2.5 year old, boy in the picture above? He is giving me a run for my money. Last week he threw a fit the likes of which I have never seen. I could not muscle him into his car seat. It took thirty minutes of discussion, explanation of consequences, reasoning and brute force to get him half way buckled into his seat. The best part is that I was in a church parking lot, having just come from a morning parenting group for moms of small kids. And mine is totally out of control. Love that.
That episode pretty much undid me for the week. Trying to put a house together and meet people and find your way around is exhausting and that put me over the edge. So, we settled on today for a fun outing at the Zoo.

The Phoenix Zoo is awesome for kids. We didn't even get to see everything, but the goats were a definite highlight. One of their favorite books right now is "The Three Billy Goats Gruff," which we have to reenact at every playground with a bridge. I always get to play the part of the troll. I thought that they might be hesitant to touch the animals, but neither of them was.

Of course we ended the trip with a Carousel ride which they both loved.
It was a really nice break to be able to sneak in a fun family outing during the week. We're so looking forward to checking out a few more Phoenix attractions when Mimi, Pop, Jenn, Nana and Uncle Rusty all visit in April.

p.s. I added this picture after originally posting. Tim thinks that he looks like a celebrity walking down the street with his kids (he may have mentioned Tom Brady as an example) and insisted that it be added.

2 comments:

sarah said...

love the celeb shot at the end. =) way to go, laurie, on really undertaking to understand your new surroundings! it's exhausting, i know....but you're doing so great, i know it!

Taylor Wise said...

I know how you feel about the tantrums in public. Bette has those on a regular basis. It is like they just know the worst time and place to have those.