In other news, not really related to Cate, Tim and I got out and got to take part in a fun serving opportunity with our church and some friends this weekend. We spent two hours on Sat. afternoon with lots of other volunteers packing meals for children in Zimbabwe. Our church partnered with an organization called, "Feed my Starving Children" who have researched efficient ways to get high quality, nutritious food to children who desperately need it. At the end of our two hours, I think that they said that we packed enough food to feed 76 children for a year, and of course ours was just one of many 2 hr slots in one of many sites in the area.
One of the volunteers for FMSC said that often, in Zimbabwe, mothers are forced to give their children "dirt cakes" made of dirt, water and maybe some shortening (if they have it) to make their little bellies feel full. That provides a lot of quick perspective when I'm worrying about whether or not Cate has had the "right" foods for the day or whether or not we're going to be able to ever sell our house to move into a bigger one for her to grow up in. I would never be in the position of having nothing to offer her when she's hungry other than the dirt I find outside.
So, one of my friends, Taylor (her blog is listed on the right, "We Are Wises") wrote about compassionate consumerism and using our buying power not just to buy, but to help those living in extreme poverty to improve their situations. She listed a few websites/organizations on her blog, but another one that our church has been working with is www.tradeasone.com. It's a really cool website where you can buy jewelry, purses, stationary, housewares etc and the money is actually benefitting the person who worked to make the product. When you click on a product, along with all of the other info is a picture of the person who made it and a brief story about his/her situation. I haven't purchased anything there yet, but I think that the next time I have a gift to buy, I'll give it a try.
1 comment:
thanks for the shout out? how are you feeling? are you trying to sell your house? Miss you!
Post a Comment